WED 1—SAT 4 JUNE
- 70 minutes, no interval
- Restricted to audiences 18+
- Warning: This performance contains nudity, child abuse references, simulated sexual acts, urination, smoke/haze, loud noises and strobe lighting
Pornography is a pervasive beast. Obviously there’s untold hours of filmed sex online, but more insidious incarnations too, from eroticised advertisements for household staples to sexually-degrading wartime torture.
In 21 pornographies, Danish choreographer Mette Ingvartsen embarks on a no-holds-barred, one-woman exploration of power, submission and observation. Often bearing little connection to explicit sex, Ingvartsen’s performance evokes the clinical precision, violence and cruelty of pornography—as well as its thrill, titillation and banal humour.
On a stark, LED-lit set, Ingvartsen wields her physicality in choreographed vignettes, interspersed with bracing monologues on the nature of the pornographic. 21 pornographies is a visceral experience for both performer and audience.
POST-SHOW Q&A WITH METTE INGVARTSEN—SAT 4 JUNE, 6.50PM (APPROXIMATE START)
Open discussion with 21 Pornographies' Mette Ingvartsen on the research, development and context of the work. Led by acclaimed choreographer and RISING board member Amrita Hepi (Bundjulung/Ngapuhi), the conversation is also an opportunity to explore Ingvartsen’s current work, The Dancing Public, which will be performed on 8 June at Melbourne Town Hall.
- Duration: 1 hour
- Facilitator: Amrita Hepi
- Price: Free
WED 1—SAT 4 JUNE
- Duration | 70 minutes, no interval
- Note | This show is restricted to audiences 18+
- Warning | This performance contains nudity, child abuse references, simulated sexual acts, urination, smoke/haze, loud noises and strobe lighting
- Tickets are also onsale via Arts House