RISING : CALL TO ARTISTS
RISING's Call to Artists is seeking expressions of interest (EOIs) for work presented in the 2024 festival and beyond.
RISING takes place each June in Naarm, Melbourne. It is a contemporary cultural event that brings together site specific performance, large scale public art, music and ceremony for a diverse community.
This Call to Artists invites artists from around the country to submit their ideas for bold and ambitious new work.
We're seeking art and performance designed specifically for outdoor settings, ideas that will prompt powerful social experiences, and create transformative moments, from the epic to the intimate.
The Call: We're after big ideas for outdoor projects only to be presented from RISING 2024 onwards. Ultimately one to three projects will be commissioned. The selection process will be conducted by a group of peers, representing a spectrum of artists and industry.
RISING : CALL TO ARTISTS
To be selected, applicants are required to be:
- An Australian artist OR
- An artist who is based in Australia
We are looking for:
- Strength of the creative vision
- An idea for an outdoor project of any scale
- The idea proposed is a new idea
Applications are now closed. Thank you to all who submitted.
- Wed 15 June — RISING’s Call to Artists submissions open
- Fri 8 July — RISING’s Call to Artists submissions close
- Early September — successful and unsuccessful applicants notified. You'll have about a month to prepare interview materials
- October — interviews
- Early November — interview applicants notified of outcome
Our 2022 Advisory Panel was made up of the following members:
- Amrita Hepi – Amrita is an award-winning artist whose practice is concerned with dance as social function performed within galleries, performance spaces, video art and digital technologies
- Callum Morton – Callum is an artist whose practice employs various spatial disruptions to open up a new poetics of the city. He has exhibited nationally and internationally since 1990
- Grace Herbert – Grace is an artist and Curator based in nipaluna/ Hobart. She is also an Artistic Associate at RISING
- Bruce Gladwin – Bruce is a director who makes work for theatre and screen
- Bronwyn Belcher – Bron is a Creative Producer working primarily with artists to make commissioned works. She has previously been a Senior Producer at RISING
- Elaine Chia – Elaine has been a producer, creative director, fundraiser, wrangler and sometimes all roles simultaneously. She has worked across art forms, across scale, and across traditional as well as unconventional spaces
- Theia Connell – Theia Connell is an interdisciplinary artist, curator and producer based in nipaluna/Hobart. She is currently working for RISING as a Curatorial Producer